Opening

On each side of the river stood the tree of life. . . . And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. (Rev 22:2)

email statement

On June 26, 2015 a team of missionaries from Elevate Church in Monroe Michigan will travel to Choluteca, Honduras to work with the Grand Commission Church to build a home and share the Gospel. The team will be working in the Brias del Rio area serving and being served while on mission. The team will share our experiences and how God is changing our lives on this blog.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

The GYM

In 2005, I became sick.  For years and years I had burned the candle at both ends, and it finally caught up with me. My thyroid "crashed and burned" and I wound up losing weight. Not in a good way either. I lost 50 pounds in 90 days. I shook like I had Parkinson's and had to hold my arm still in work meetings.  Some would describe me as looking emaciated.

I found medicine that worked (to treat the symptoms) and I began to be able to gain some weight back. I took that as an opportunity to start building healthy habits into my life. If I was going to gain weight back, I was going to do it the right way. One-by-one over the years I added healthy habits. At first it was various exercises or physical activities that made me stronger. Later it was better eating habits. This last year and a half, however, I strayed from being diligent in my exercises (yoga, kayaking, mountain biking, running, and of course the gym)

This mission is a very physical one. We lift, we dig, we pound, etc. last year I spent a greater part of the first few days just carrying buckets of water for the cement from the river. This year, it was digging a large 7 foot deep hole for a latrine.  While I am energized greatly by serving others on this mission, I am definitely feeling the ill of my straying from my physical habits. 

Knowing I can be a stubborn one, God was unrelenting with the message. I have been getting constant comments and questions from the Hondurans about muscles, working out, what sports do I do, etc. To me, I've let myself go and I don't feel as strong as I once was. So I just shook it off.  God is, however, clever in how he weaves in unexpected lessons in your life. For me, the theme of this mission has been a constant one. Incorporate healthy rhythms (habits) in your life and be very diligent in keeping them if you want to reap the rewards. 

After a couple days of he comments, our job Sunday evening was to help set up the local  church for their monthly youth service. The theme for the service was GYM. Building healthy habits. We drove in a pickup around town to several homes to borrow various tattered exercise equipment and deliver them to the church.  We were setting up a makeshift gym. The kids had a great time at the service. The setup was cool and there was a funny video and skit before the message. There was also a contest at the end with a local personal trainer. 

On Monday, we were set to have our first evening free with no planned activity. Then, someone from a young leader group also staying at the mission house was going to lead an exercise class for the ladies next door in CASA Hogar Vida, the holistic community built by he church, and she self-admittedly needed help. I offered to help teach the yoga and she was very accepting, and seemingly relieved. A couple of the women missionaries in our group also helped. 

The class that came was actually two ladies and the group of kids from the orphanage. How fun to see their smiling faces. They don't normally get to come into the mission house. So it was an exciting privilege for them. They laughed and giggled. What a moment it was!  

To me it was a powerful reminder that God has you where you are for a reason.  There is purpose to your story and path. Stay diligent in what you feel called to do, because God WILL use it for His glory and His purpose. Part of that purpose is your faith. When moments come where your history and your purpose meet, it is a faith bolstering moment.  God has us in a race for souls. You're in training for it. Do what you're called to do. 

Here is a great verse that uses the metaphor of physical prowess and athleticism to describe the discipline needed in our lives to win the prize, the ultimate prize. 

"Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified. (‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭9‬:‭24-27‬ NLT)"

God Bless

Aaron Mason

No comments:

Post a Comment