Opening

On each side of the river stood the tree of life. . . . And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. (Rev 22:2)

email statement

On June 26, 2015 a team of missionaries from Elevate Church in Monroe Michigan will travel to Choluteca, Honduras to work with the Grand Commission Church to build a home and share the Gospel. The team will be working in the Brias del Rio area serving and being served while on mission. The team will share our experiences and how God is changing our lives on this blog.

Friday, June 26, 2015

Life goes on... And so Must the Mission

Life goes on... and so must the mission

It's a team of ten this year.  It's Friday, June 26th and we are all sitting at the airport at 5am about to board our flight to Honduras via Atlanta.  We will be gone for 10 days.  I'm sure it won't seem like a long time on that last day, but as we prepared to leave this last week it seemed like a monumental task to exit our daily routines and responsibilities.

Industry changing regulation has my work very busy right now.  Also, my son just graduated and I have been helping him transition into adulthood and soon-to-be college life.  On top of that, I have other time planned off for family needs shortly after the mission. Then here was hail.  just two weeks before mission, a hail storm like I never had seen came through my neighborhood. My roof, siding, and windows were peppered so badly that they all need to be replaced.  So I have been dealing with the insurance adjuster and contractor up until the last day here. Finally, you just resign to the fact that it will all be there when you get back.

Robert Frost once said, "in three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life:  it goes on."  And that it does.... And so must the mission. You can't be in two places at once when in mission. You have to leave everything behind and trust that it will be fine when you get back. This is a necessity so that you are present in the mission. You need to be there and undistracted. God is doing great things where we are going, the least one can do is "show up."  Both literally, and figuratively. 

Last year was no different.  Back then, I was heavy into a new position at work, and my grandma passed and I needed to travel for that just before going on mission.  It was a very busy time, but it all worked out. 

Life will happen.  Mission doesn't change that. You just have to be prepared when deciding to go on mission that there will be many things in your life that threaten distraction and that those forces will intensify the closer you are to the gate at the airport. 

To my family and friends that may read this... I love you all very much. My prayers are with you, but my focus is here. I got this (by the grace of God) and you got it back home. See you all in a couple weeks!!!!

God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment