Opening

On each side of the river stood the tree of life. . . . And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. (Rev 22:2)

email statement

On June 26, 2015 a team of missionaries from Elevate Church in Monroe Michigan will travel to Choluteca, Honduras to work with the Grand Commission Church to build a home and share the Gospel. The team will be working in the Brias del Rio area serving and being served while on mission. The team will share our experiences and how God is changing our lives on this blog.

Thursday, July 2, 2015

To love and be loved...how sweet it is!

This past Tuesday our group was able to to take the children from the orphanage to the movies for the first time in their lives. It was an emotionally charged afternoon, filled with excitement and expectation. The children had no idea where they were going to go. Only to be ready by a certain time and then it was a surprise. As I loaded the bus, Gaby waves to me and grabbed my hand to sit with her. She was the same sweet little girl who taught me so many variations of jax just a day or so before. Gaby is 12, and after her parents broke up she went to live with her Dad. Unfortunately neither new step parent was kind to her and eventually she was placed with the church. We laughed and smiled on the bus. And then as we pulled into the mall she was 100% all smiles!!!! 

The movie "Inside Out", had to do with emotion and memories...it's a touching cartoon that deals with struggle, heartache, love, and family. In a few scenes my little girl Gaby, was overcome with emotion as family scenes crossed over the screen before us. It was Not only beautiful and touching but it left my heart aching for her. I know firsthand what it is like to miss my mother  and to feel very alone in the world, and I still had lots and lots of family. My heart wanted to embrace her and hold her and comfort her as she leaned forward and stared up at the screen, she wasn't ready to let me do any of it. Then slowly she sat up and eventually she just leaned into me. She still would t make eye contact, but at least she knew i was there for her.

After the movies she was so loving and affectionate. Arm around my waist, and mine around her shoulders we travel to the mall towards the exit exchanging Spanish and English terminology for the items we saw. She giggled at my attempts not to slaughter the Spanish language, and she eagerly hungered to learn English from me. We boarded the bus and suddenly she looked very tired I put my bag on my lap and she laid her head upon it. I gently stroked her for head and circled her eyes with my finger just as I remembered my Mother doing to me as a young child, and sang a song of love.

In that moment, I envisioned filling an empty space that only a mother and a child can understand. I am left believing that through the loss of my own Mother, I am able to love and nurture as I do. It's often times a hyper sensitivity that often has me feeling as though I'm wearing terminator glasses and can see and predict pain and hurt in people. 

The love of Jesus that lives inside of me craves to help heal emotional pain in others...I'm so blessed to have known loss, and to feel the pain. To know that to love is to be loved and suddenly I feel set free.


I was reminded of a lyric in the song It's all good byWarren Barfield... It's the simple thingsthat shape the mood I'm in, just to love and be loved how sweet it is. 

Serena Major ✌️💗🌻

No comments:

Post a Comment